Wednesday 10 June 2009

Begin at the Beginning

I bought the Wii Fit.  Then I bought the Wii.  They gathered dust.  I got fatter.  I've outgrown my size 20 jeans.  I can't walk up the stairs to my flat without puffing.  My back hurts.  My bad ankle is protesting.  I smoke.

I've spent 6 months pretending to do SlimmingWorld. It does work when I do it. But I don't do it. And I get fatter. My thighs rub together. I can't run for the bus. I've been mistaken for a pregnant woman.  I dread getting off the couch.

This can't go on.  So I have joined WeightWatchers today. I've been listeing to the advertising for a while. My problem is eating when I'm not hungry - there's really nothing wrong with what I'd choose to eat for dinner. But I eat for emotions and I eat for taste - and not a little taste, either. And WeightWatchers claims to address these issues in a way that SlimmingWorld does not. I've signed up for 'Monthly Pass' and will stay for 12 weeks as I've just finished a '12 week countdown' with SlimmingWorld and am the fattest I've ever been. Ever. In my whole life. It seems fair to give WW the same 12 weeks.

It won't be the same 12 weeks though. Because what has to change isn't my eating plan - it's me. Today I've been weighed and I'm about to go and measure myself and fill in the book I've been given. I'm feeling motivated. Or desperate. I'm feeling something and that's got to be better than the apathy and half-heartedness of the past three months.

Tomorrow is Week 1 Day 1. I will have worked out my Points and a menu plan by then so I'll be ready to start from breakfast time. I will also have dusted off the WiiFit. I'm too scared to go for a walk in the sunshine in case I get stuck. No, don't laugh! What if I walk thus far and then can't make it back? I'd have to phone my mother and ask for a lift ... Oh no. Exercise will take place in the safety of my own home. But it will take place. With much puffing and sweating, I imagine. Needs must.

I'll check in again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, honey. I know it's not easy..I've recently started exercising again. Bought this DVD cause I need a routine and although I like the Wii Fit I would always pick and choose what I did..avoiding what I didn't like. Anyway, I've been huffing and puffing but it's starting to get better.

    ReplyDelete